At Forefront Physio Geelong we provide Vestibular Physiotherapy, designed to specifically restore your balance.
What is the vestibular system?
In the human body, balance is maintained through the vestibular system. The vestibular system comprises of vision, joints and a mechanism within the inner ear that uses fluid and hair-like sensors to monitor body position.
When one component of the vestibular system is injured or not functioning properly (such as ear infection), an individual’s balance may be compromised. Symptoms of a dysfunctioning vestibular system, such as dizziness, vertigo, nausea or unsteady walking, can make everyday tasks difficult and severely reduce quality of life.
The physiotherapists at Forefront Physio Geelong are specifically trained in vestibular physiotherapy to assist in helping to restore balance for community members of the Greater Geelong Region. We have the qualification, tools and experience to diagnose the following conditions that may be disrupting your balance:
- Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV): calcium crystals that have dislodged in the inner ear cause fluid to move unexpectedly. This change can affects an individual by causing vertigo/dizziness while changing positions (e.g. rolling in bed, getting out of a chair)
- Labyrinthitis/Vestibular Neuritis: the mechanism of the inner ear to maintain balance is disrupted by inflammation from an infection or virus
- Meniere’s Disease: An over-accumulation of fluid in the inner ear causes episodes of vertigo, ear ringing and hearing loss
- Vestibular Migraine: Dizziness associated with a migraine or headache
- Peripheral Hypofunction: Loss of balance and dizziness often associated with aging and alcohol or drug use
- Central Vestibular Disorders: lesions to the brain following strokes or traumatic brain injuries
At Forefront Physio Geelong specific manoeuvres can be performed that aim to reduce the associated symptoms. We strive to restore your balance and lead you back to positive health.